How can we?

Seriously.

I've been watching a lot of news lately. Local, international. I'm kinda sick of itm really. There I am doing my make-up and Cynthia McFadden is reporting about the soldiers in Iraq. Then here I am drinking a can of Mirinda Citrus lounging on my super comfortable bed burping from all the food I ate, and Kara David's documentary on malnutrition is on TV.

How can I be laughing watching a Dave Chappelle video clip when mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, brothers and sisters are grieving for the loss of a family member who just died in war? How can I be throwing my left-over food when there are children dying to have a piece of what I stuff in my mouth?

How can I be complaining about my life, complaining about the most shallow things when there are parents staring blankly into space thinking of how they're going to feed their children? How can I be complaining about how hard my job is when there are soldiers dying fighting for their country?

How can I just be sitting here? For the longest time I've wanted to help change the world. And I've always wanted to start with animals. What's stopping me? Fear.

Who am I anyway? What would make people listen to me? Would my opinion on the world matter to them? Would my suggestions make sense? Would my efforts change anything? Will it save a child dying of starvation? Will it make one's father come home without a scratch on his body? Will it help save the Polar Bears from losing their home?

How can we take advantage of life this way? When there is so much going on the world. Things that really matter. Nothing is supposed to matter more than this life. This earth. Why can't we understand that? Why do we have for things to get worse before we do something about it? Will we ever do something about it?

When will our leaders ever pay attention to things that really matter? And when will we ever learn to participate, help and be active with more meaningful things? And when will we ever think about our fellowmen? Our country? This world that we live in?

So its not our problem. But that could've been us. That could've been our fathers fighting in Iraq. That could've been us with nothing left of our bodies but skin and bones. That could've been us, losing our home to global warming.

Right now its not about just being thankful for what we have. Its about sharing what we have with other people. Its about making this world better for our children. For our children's children. So much people are suffering from far worse things than we can imagine. Is it ever going to stop? What can we do to make it stop?


Let's all pray for those who are in need... of life. I'm including them in my prayers tonight starting today. And that could be a good start for wanting change.

Maybe one day, in my own little way I can help one soul. Its not the entire population of Africa, or Bicol. But one soul. That will be a good start.

0 comments: