Weighing Things


One of the things I'm not really comfortable talking about, is weight. Weight is overrated. I don't really care if you're plus sized (actually, I like people who look healthy). Its one thing to want to "feel" healthy and another to "look" healthy.

If you're plus sized, there's no reason for you to feel uncomfortable with your own body. If there's anyone I'm proud of, is that I have chubby cousins and it doesn't go in the way of how they feel about themselves. I love them more for that. They're very very confident and I wish girls would look up to them for that. They work with what they have and are proud of it to a point that they do make jokes about it to themselves.

I'm not saying its wrong to wish you were thinner, or meatier. What I'm saying is that its wrong to just let it affect how you live your life, and how you see yourself.

Recently, I saw an old friend and she brought up my husband, Drew, then mentioning about his weight. She said something like, "Nakita kita sa Facebook ha! Ang taba ng asawa mo! Sabi ko nga eh, "ano ba 'tong pinili ni Abbie.."" (I saw you on Facebook and your husband's fat! I was telling myself, "What kind of choice did Abbie make") And deep down, I was like "You're seriously telling me that?" I get that she was laughing, it seemed funny to her. It didn't to me.

Andrew is one of the most body-conscious people I've known my entire life. And honestly, he does hate that he's gained so much weight to a point that he's depressed about it. And because I love him, I do try to encourage him when I see that he's spaced out, wishful thinking about how much he weighed a year ago. Things like, "Its okay, you're still hot to me", or "Its okay, you can always get your old body back, anyway, like when you have the time to and stuff."

Whenever friends come up to us, teasing him that he's gained so much and that he should do something about it, I couldn't help but hate them a little. Seriously, my husband is not blind. He knows what he's dealing with, and he knows he's gained weight. There's no need to rub it in his face. Life is just so much different in the middle east. He's dealing with so many things. His weight is not something to be taken seriously right now, we have bigger problems to face and deal with. I'm the wife, if there's anyone who has a problem with how he looks, it should be me. But I don't really give a rat's ass.

When people ask me about how he's doing, I proudly say he's put on some pounds, and my friends can attest that I don't even make faces when I say it. His weight is not a problem to me. I do find it cute and funny whenever he lies in bed, acting all depressed about it though.

Second week of April


I'm blessed that I married Andrew. And I wake up to that thought everyday, whether he's got a bulgy ab, or a six pack. I can live with whatever, as long as its him. As long as he is who he's always been. That's all that really matters. Besides, my husband will always look hot to me.

Try to be a little sensitive about how people feel, especially about their weight. That comment thrown at me was offensive, because she doesn't even know what kind of a person my husband is. Please don't start conversations with "Wow, you gained weight", because its not just a girl thing, its actually a human thing, and its not just about vanity, its an over-all personality thing.

And since we're at it, stop telling me how much weight I've lost . You haven't been dealing with the things I have and I think anyone who's lost a Mother would go through the same stress and weight loss as I have. I am not stupid, or blind. Stop telling me to do something about it. I'm trying, its not just as easy as you think. And its not like I'm not aware of this fact, my skinny jeans are starting to become baggy and I couldn't hate it any more - my self confidence is lower than you could ever imagine, but then again, there are more important things to focus on.

Like dealing with the reality that my Mother is physically gone, and all I want to do right now is hug her.

Who would care about their weight when they've got something like this to face?


6 comments:

  1. I've been dealing with the same indirect slaps , Abs... I used to have smaller bod before I got pregnant and people have been teasing me with how big I look now. It feels really bad when they pass and tell other people that I gained so much weight and start laughing about it. They stare at me from head-to-toe with sarcasm... Though I knw that I shouldnt be paying more attention to what they're thinking and saying about me, still its getting to my nerves. You're right, there are more important things to mind than being so darn desperate on how to lose or gain weight. I hope people can be more careful and sensitive with their words. This blog makes sense indeed. To Andrew, Im sure Abbie would still choose to be with you even when you grow gray hairs. Don't be sad na lovely couple... We'll back in shapes before the year ends, right??? (im just trying to cheer u guys up) But even if we dont, life must go on... ( i missed reading your blogs, Abbie.)*kisses* - CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are both the sweetest and lovely couple-- =) Youre both lucky to have each other! :) I hope to find my own andrew-abbie (combination talaga, ahaha): both filled with unconditional love that goes skin deep. :) Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww. This is sweet. You're sweet.
    I just came across your blog and fell in love with it (and you) instantly. You just earned yourself another fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you just said what I've been wanting to say but never did. Right on Abbie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Exactly! People should learn how to be a little sensitive. And it's sad that sometimes it's your own friends that make you feel bad about yourself. I feel really bad when my friends tease me about my weight. Yes, I just laugh whenever they tease me and I also make jokes about it myself but deep inside, they don't know how it really feels. To them, it may seem nothing--- just an innocent joke. But to some people, it's not. Thank you, Abbie, for this blog. You actually made me feel better. I hope to find one day a life partner with the same ideals as you. You and Andrew are blessed to have each other. (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Seriously, my husband is not blind. He knows what he's dealing with, and he knows he's gained weight. There's no need to rub it in his face. Life is just so much different in the middle east. He's dealing with so many things. His weight is not something to be taken seriously right now, we have bigger problems to face and deal with. I'm the wife, if there's anyone who has a problem with how he looks, it should be me. But I don't really give a rat's ass."

    I second demotion!! I know how it feels about that weight thing! I was so skinny back then and now that I've gained loads of weight, my relatives and friends always tease me and sometimes I just want to tell them straight to their face that "YES! I know.. I'm not blind. I've got a mirror in my room! I can see I've gained weight. You don't know need to rub it in blah blah!" It's pretty annoying. My boyfriend doesn't even care about my weight!

    One thing to keep their mouths shut up? I always say, "At least I'm not ugly. I can always go back to my previous size but if you're ugly? What can you do about it?"
    :) Try it sometimes! LOL

    Anyway, you two look so good together! :)

    ReplyDelete