9/11 : Never Forget


(late post)

I'm one of the few who don't really remember what I was doing when I heard that the World Trade Center was attacked. But I do remember that I was at home when I found out. Mama and I were on the living room couch and we were both in shock.

The World Trade Center was built between 1966 - 1971, both rising up to 110 stories. There were several reports of terrorist threats in its early years of existence, with one basement bombing in 1993, where reportedly, the head of security for the World Trade Center, Rick Rescorla foresaw the said attack.

History Channel did a documentary on Rick Rescorla also foreseeing the 9/11 attack, titled "The Man Who Saw it Coming" which I've partly seen on YouTube.


I just saw footages of the 9/11 attack again today, and there's one hardcore footage of the second plane hitting the South Tower. The person taking the video was like in 'front' (not literally, but the angle of the camera was) of the South Tower and I swear, I was speechless. I've never seen a video that close. Its amazing how you can see the anchors so calm while reporting the news. If that were me, I'd go all bonkers on National News.

I wonder. If I were one of the bystanders and I was watching it all happening, just standing there, unable to move, unable to help, unable to do anything useful - I think I'd be traumatized.
I'd be wishing that all the floors were equipped with numerous parachutes, enough for all to utilize. I'd be wishing that helicopters could fly close enough to the towers to save more people. Or that the towers could've been surrounded by huge, trampoline-like structures to catch people who jumped off.

But I'm just wishful thinking. And looking at all these footages, I don't think much of us expected the towers to collapse, or at least not that soon.



This photo was one of the most controversial shots that ran in papers. Its a photo of a man who jumped off the World Trade Center. In the documentary "The Falling Man", we dig dipper into one of the most ugliest realities we have to face.

Looking at it, you might think : "Its just a photo of a man falling from the sky", but... it really isn't. Yes, he may have looked calm, and he is in one piece - but this man could've been your brother, he could've been your father, your husband, your cousin. And he just made a decision...

I was pretty much traumatized by this photo, to be honest. Its a photo of a man, falling. And during the time it was shot, no one could do anything about it.

The Aftermath. And I love how that piece of steel served as a cross.


I remember watching this documentary - with scenes that didn't really help me stop being an insomniac. I loved it though.

The New Yorker's September Issue paid tribute to the 9/11 attack, I love the concept of the cover. All black, as a sign of mourning, but if you stare at it longer, you'd see the silhouette of the Twin Towers, still standing. Its so heart-breaking to see.

Its so heart-breaking to remember.

Now, every September 11th, where the Twin Towers used to rise are lighted up, in memoriam of the tragedy, and triumph (in our hearts, one that nobody could ever take away from us) that was caused by hopefully, the most unforgettable attack of all time, on the 11th of September, 2001.


CNN published a story of how one family just recently found out that their Son died in 9/11, thanks to this photo of their Son rushing out of the Tunnel they were stuck in to rescue more people trapped inside the Towers. Read the full story here.

This design by Michael Arad of the World Trade Center memorial won in 2004, called "Reflecting Absence". More on structure here. Also, this video of how the World Trade Center Complex would end up as built.


Several videos I grabbed from CNN : A tour of the Memorial Structure in its current state (as it is being built), the development of the new World Trade Center and a Museum of 9/11 artifacts (which I would love to go see someday).









See, you don't really have to be an American, you didn't really have to lose someone, to know what it feels like. To sympathize, to cry. This isn't just an attack that would affect the United States, its something that affects us, as human beings, as part of this world. It could've happened anywhere, and we would still feel the same.

Let's say a prayer for the 2,752 souls we lost that day. That could've been us. That could've been our loved one.

Let's never forget the Firemen, let's never forget the visitors, the employees, the people on the hijacked plane, and the ones who were so desperate to get out that they felt like they had no other choice but to jump...Let's never forget the families who had cried countless of nights, mourning their loss.

God bless the Earth. God bless the Earth to what its become.
Let's never forget 9/11.

(sources : CNN.com/Wikipedia.Org/Google Images/YouTube/WTCProgress.com)

0 comments: