Featured Fashionista : Laureen Uy




I love all the people I feature, but this one's special to me, because I'm blessed enough to be friends with her.

Lauie and I met in 2006 and she has never changed since, personality-wise. But her fashion sense just kept evolving, and I mean that in the awesomest way.

Sure, you'd think that it should come naturally for her, but it could be quite a struggle to know who you are and what you want to do when you've got epic siblings to look up to, but it was apparent that Lauie didn't need to go through so much of that because she definitely worked her way around getting to where she is now. Without a doubt, she shines with and in her own light and right.

The way she puts an outfit together, is very now, but also very Laureen. Creating a thing called "BMS-ing", or "Breaking my Style", where she tries things from time to time that isn't really her, where she would end up liking and adapting them.

Now, who doesn't love adventurous women. Lau isn't afraid of incorporating fabrics and styles and prints and colors together because you look at her, and you know she's making it work - effortlessly. I like how she always comes up with a variety of looks, but still has the signature "Laureen" factor going on. I wonder when I'll ever be able to pull off something like that.



1.) Place of Birth
Manila, Philippines

2.) What are your inspirations?
Magazines and online blogs (seaofshoes.com, fashiontoast.com, style.com, bryanboy.com and a lot more)





3.) Do you usually plan what to wear, or do you dress spontaneously?
It really depends on my mood if i'm feeling fine, fresh fierce or lazy. *laughs* Usually if it's for an event, I do plan an outfit before hand, but for my everyday wear, it depends.






4.) Your other interests aside from Fashion?
Music. I LOVE MUSIC. I can play the piano and little guitar. Whenever I'm stressed, I just listen to music and it goes away. 2. Basketball. believe it or not, I used to be a varsity player back in high school. It's my sport.


5.) Who / What influenced you most with your love for Fashion?
My siblings, definitely.

I think I'd like to call them the "Power Siblings"
Laureen and her sibs Vince and Laureen Uy
Preview Magazine's Creative Director and Fashion Editor, respectively

6.) Tell us what it was like growing up with two siblings who are as awesomely fashion-forward as yours are - like, how young were you when they started 'dressing you up' and you started to realize what you liked, and didn't like?
I was a bit pressured of course, that's why I started interning for Candy Magazine at 15. They'd dress me up, do my make up and take photos of me. Parang magazine lang hahaha. I'd always get fashion advice from them, but of course as I grew older, step by step, I figured my style along the way.

7.) What was one insecurity you always had about yourself, and what did you do to overcome it?
My only insecurity is my height, that's why you'll see me wearing heels more than flats.






8.) What's one item that every girl must have in their closets?
Anything black, but if you wanna be specific -- A black dress. It makes you look sleek, glamorous and thin.





9.) Other people find it so hard to express themselves through Fashion, what advise would you give to encourage them if they want their mood/personality speak through their clothes?
This has always been my motto: "What you wear is who you are." Don't be afraid to dress how you feel. Everyone has their on sense of style; don't be afraid to show it.


Here are a few photos of me and Lauie together, because I miss her so much!

A photo of the first time we met when she styled me for a Seventeen Fashion Spread

And then she booked me for another Seventeen Fashion Spread months later

I was one of her models for a Fashion Segment in GMA 7's Unang Hirit

Laureen Uy is going places, and we all know that. I'm so proud of what she has and will accomplish. Its very rare to be friends with someone as awesome as she is. She's always remained the sweet friend that she is to me, and I don't even have to wonder why God is blessing her and her family with so much. Lauie's always kept her feet planted on the ground and I admire her in so many ways. (Lauie, we'll Skype soon when I'm free from all my housework! Ha!)

Find out more about Laureen through her BLOG / TWITTER / CLOTHING STORE's website (Stylebreak, which I will be featuring as soon as I publish the entire second set of Featured Fashionistas, so watch out for that!)


Trust that you're gonna love reading it just as much as I do.

5 comments:

  1. She is really good with fashion! And I can remember that Unang Hirit episode. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow she's really gorgeous! And you're so cute with the bangs! :D

    <3 Camille
    http://bigbangstheory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) LAureen uie is so PRETTY :)

    ReplyDelete