Palawan, Palawan

I keep coming back to Palawan...Palawan, I'm coming home...next year. Ha!

I'm not sure if everyone knows that I spent most of my childhood days in Palawan. See, I was born in Muntinlupa and have lived in San Pedro, Laguna up until I was 5 years old. Blessed with a car, and with a Grandad who had an office in Makati, most of my days would be spent there with my Mom. I recall that when my Gramps was busy with work, we would end up taking the bus. I was, what you would say in Tagalog, "Batang Gala". I loved going out! It didn't matter where, as long as I was in a vehicle off to somewhere I'd be so happy.

I hold so many precious memories of my childhood in Laguna. My cousin Chiekks and I could pass up as twins because we always wore matching clothes, if not similar styles and color palettes.

When I knew that we had to move to Palawan, at such a young age, I could say that I wasn't very happy. I don't think any kid would like the idea of moving to a new place, anyway.

At 5, I wasn't sure how I was able to adapt to everything but of course, having my Mom with me, it should be easy. One of my earliest and fondest memories of Palawan was when my Mom and I went to the Vietnamese Village where the residents stopped us on our way out because they claimed my Mom "kidnapped" me. I was scared and my Mom was frantic, saying "This is my child!" Ha!

Life was much simpler then, I would walk to school because it was literally right in front of our house. I remember running home to Mama to show her my report card (I was usually top of my class, hee!) because she told me if I did good, she'd get me ONE thing I wanted most from the Mall. Yeah, it motivated me so much.

My friends and I liked the idea of hanging out at the restaurant just behind our school and have chocolate milkshakes and we considered ourselves cool enough. And when I made friends with my neighbors and we would end up walking to the Gaming Center all the way to our "Bayan" to play Sega games and stuff.

There are just so many stories to tell about Palawan, but all I want to say is : I didn't realize how much Palawan really meant to me until recently.

It helped shape me to the person that I am now. I owe it so much to my Father's relatives, my Tita and Sister who ended up moving there as well. There's just so much humility in Palawan. I can't NOT love it. You should've seen my face whenever I took walks to Mendoza Park, to the Palengke...it gives me the best chills. It was so nostalgic that I almost broke down and cried, wishing I could re-live those days again. Days spent with my Mama, with my Dad, and siblings, Aunts and Uncles, Grandparents...It was beautiful.

Here are some of my childhood photos taken in Palawan, thought I'd share it.

There's a photo of me and Aiza Seguerra taken at Eat Bulaga's Backstage, ha! And my Dad's collection of cassette tapes.
I miss them!

Field Trip!

Taken during New Year.

My Dad gained a little weight, hee! This was taken during his vacation in the Philippines.

My Mom was so happy after getting that Christmas Tree.
It was so tall, it reached the roof of the house!

Our house in Palawan in Japanese Motif. My Mom's idea.
We didn't buy the living room set a year later. But the Dining Room remained to have no chairs whatsoever. It was awesome.


This was when we lived in my Lolo's house.
We moved to our own house years later,
a 5 minute walk from this house.


Christmaaaaaaassss

My Mom collected Espadrilles in almost every possible color.

We owned a Video Shop in Palawan, and had local celebrities (living there) as customers, turned into friends. Hee!

Mama and my Sister, Joy, when she won Palawan's Ms. Tourism

Obviously I turned really dark because we live about
15 minutes away from the beach.


Mama, my Brother, my Cousin and Me in Sabang Beach,
before heading to Underground River

At a hotel with Mama and my Tita Kleyr,
after watching a gig at the bar. I recall them to be one of my favorite bands cos the lead singer has the funniest punch lines!


These set of photos were taken during our recent trip to Palawan, it was a couple of weeks after Mama's wake, my Dad and I thought it would be a good idea to see our Family while we had the chance. I almost cried after walking in to our old room, it felt like I could see Mama sit on the bed, it felt like I could see my old toys in the now empty cabinets, and her clothes hanging in the closet. It was heartbreaking, and yet I felt so much joy, being able to have something to go back to. It was such a bittersweet moment. We only stayed there for about 5 days but it felt like weeks. Every moment was treasured.


Me and my friend Kat, treating me to some awesome Inasal
at Bilao at Palayok

We've been close friends since Kindergarten!

Love the ambiance!

At Beans and Pages

Ice Candy!!!! WAAAAAHHH!
I love that my Aunt's Sari-Sari store right next to our
house is still open to this very day. I used to buy almost
all the Ice Candy she makes. The best flavors are Chocolate
and Mango, of course!

Balsahan

Iwahig

On our way to Balsahan, we used my Uncle's truck!
Couldn't get any more awesome than that!
Kickin' it Probinsiya style.
I missed this!

Familia Almasco. Chos.

In Balsahan, people aren't really "allowed" to use swimsuits, so thank goodness for this top and my bikini, I managed to able to convince myself to pull off one of my top fashion faux-pas'!



My Dad, Cousins and family friends

YOU CAN'T NOT TRY CHAOLONG AND FRENCH BREAD!

Not very appropriate but the Dads were up for it :
Jumpshots in front of my Uncle Joe's and Lola Biay's graves.

I love my Lolo!
Funny Story : One night I went home at 10:00 P.M. and he scolded me!
My Dad backed me up by saying, "You should be happy. This is the earliest she went home" HA!

Wah. Notice the windows and wooden floors? Gosh, I miss it so much! I used to enjoy scrubbing it every time Mama allowed me. Applying floor wax and stuff. It was a lot of fun! I seriously will not trade my life in Palawan for anything else.

Back then, I felt really bad for myself because I knew I was missing out on a lot of things when I was there, and being called "Probinsiyana" wasn't very appealing to me. BUT my perception changed as I grew older, and I became more proud of being a Palawe├▒a each year. I am proud to have many homes (Laguna, Cavite, Palawan, Jeddah, and now Makati).

I am a Probinsiyana at heart. I like all these big fancy things and places, but deep down, I will always have a soft spot for "the simple life". Its just so refreshing, and it keeps everyone else grounded. We learn to genuinely appreciate the small things and moments.

Palawan, I LOVE YOU FOREVER. Whoever lives in Palawan right now, you guys are so blessed! Airkiss Puerto Princesa for me!


1 comment: