We Were Right

Allow me to be all cheesy (you know how cheesy I normally am? Lets multiply that by a thousand). But seriously. THIS.

I keep explaining how there might be one great love in our lives, and maybe we're all just Pocahontases waiting to happen.

Tragic maybe, but...also fulfilling.

I know I may not be speaking accurately of Pocahontas and John Smith's story, but Disney's adaptation made it my number one favorite cartoon. I mean, I love Aladdin. But its only second to Pocahontas. There was something very mature about its story, at a young age, you wouldn't really know what it was like to sacrifice love for bigger, greater things, and almost all Disney Princesses ended up with their Knights, their Princes, but Pocahontas... I remember feeling so torn, but deep down there was a deeper sense of feeling whole, having felt what it was like to know John Smith, knowing love, that it existed, and how it could be so great, it allows you to let it go, PHYSICALLY.


IF I NEVER KNEW YOU
Jon Secada / Shanice

If I never knew you
If i never felt this love
I would have no inkling of
How precious life can be

And if I never held you
I would never have a clue
How at last I'd find in you
The missing part of me

In this world so full of fear
Full of rage and lies
I can see the truth so clear
In your eyes
So dry your eyes

And I'm so grateful to you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

If I never knew you
I'd be safe but half as real
Never knowing I could feel
A love so strong and true

I'm so grateful to you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Lost forever
If I never knew you

I thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we'd make the whole world bright
I never knew that fear and hate could be so strong
all they'd leave us were these whispers in the night
But still my heart is saying we were right

Oh if I never knew you
(There's no moment I regret)
If I never felt this love
(Since the moment that we met)
I would have no inkling of
(If our time has gone too fast)
How precious life can be...
(I've lived at last...)

I thought our love would be so beautiful
Somehow we'd make the whole world bright
I thought our love would be so beautiful
We'd turn the darkness into light
And still my heart is saying we were right
we were right

And if I never knew you
If I never knew you
I'd have lived my whole life through
Empty as the sky
Never knowing why
Lost forever
If I never knew you 



I was listening to this song all night, as I passed familiar roads, and my favorite vacant lot,closing my eyes, taking a deep breath.

You know, looking back... I would ask myself how both Pocahontas and John Smith let each other go like that. Pocahontas chose to stay, regardless of her Father's blessing. John Smith chose to recover home. I didn't understand it much then, but the pain was there.

And yet, the moment Pocahontas ran to the cliff, and the wind blew past her, to John Smith on the stretcher, you would realize that it wasn't just some cheesy, Disney thing. Underlying all this during one of the most painful scenes in Disney History (and yet my most favorite of them all) was the true message of what love is, and what love could be like.

You know, from the moment they met, that piece, the other half of them was already complete. And when they parted, the fact that they had filled each others' lives did not, and will never change. They are apart, but complete.

Is it a travesty to know that some of us are meant to not have the greatest love of our lives the same way Belle had hers?

You see, we cannot afford to be like Cinderella these days, or Jasmine for that matter. Sometimes our Diamond in the Rough isn't Aladdin, its John Smith.

If there was any song written for this one person, for this part of my life, this song would be it. And I don't know where things are... I don't know. 

All I know is, if I hadn't met this person, I know that I did not know what it was like for my soul to feel whole.

There was probably a reason why Pocahontas always meant so much to me.

I love you, Bibi.
You are the biggest piece of my puzzle.

0 comments: