Don't Hate What You Don't Understand

Let me be honest with you. And you may hate me for this, but hear me out.

I don't really get the obsession with dressing up like Anime/Manga Characters. Drew would go to these Conventions in the Philippines, and I've been to one, twice in my lifetime. I have nothing against it, I have nothing against people who choose to be part of it, or the hype. I enjoy watching the participants, and marvel at the awesome costumes, respect how much effort everyone puts into this. I even dream of going to Comic Con in San Diego (Boy, oh Boy). But being "part" of it isn't really my thing (I've had urges to go as a Character but you know what I mean).

I saw this video today of Venus Palermo, which was done about a year ago on this Daily Show called Daybreak, which airs in the UK (if I'm not mistaken).


While I may not understand the fascination, I never really found it in myself to outright express my thoughts in this manner. You know that old saying right?

But this was just... sad to watch. What's so "horrifying" about dressing up or wanting to look like a living doll? Its a lot more better than how kids are trying to dress up these days. Besides, not just cos you don't understand something, doesn't make it wrong for others to do.

What a disrespectful thing to say, seriously. I was surprised Venus's Mother kept her composure. She handled it gracefully. 

Passion is such a rare thing in the world these days. Its amazing to the many things we can find ourselves to contribute our time to, wholeheartedly devoted to a craft. 

I don't mind other girls getting all curious and following the fad of looking like a doll. Just don't go too extreme. Anything that can get in the way of compromising who you really are, that could end up hurting other people, that's horrifying. But I don't see anything extreme about this. The girl is having innocent, clean fun. 

Such a mean thing to say. Shame on that reporter. Where's your etiquette, Lady? Grilling an innocent girl and her Mom like they're alleged Corrupt Politicians or something? The heck.

0 comments: